I've met the most well put together people who have manicured yards and magnificently decorated living areas only to discover that their bedrooms remain undecorated, or worse, an ugly catch-all that screams, "I don't think my peace of mind is all that important!" You really deserve far better, don't you think? If you have an eye for decorating already let the following give you a little push to get you going. If you don't have a clue about making a tasteful space of your own here's a place to start.
Repeat to yourself: "I spend a lot of my life in my bedroom and life is too short for it not to be beautiful." When you open your eyes in the morning what mood do you want to be in? Mornings are not my favorite so I like my bedroom to ease me into the day. Tranquil colors for me are the ones that remind me of nature--ocean blues and greens. This style also suits me being able to relax in this space after a stressful day. Maybe you love the mornings so you want a color scheme that matches your "I'm-ready-for-today!" outlook.
What you have to work with already. There are probably some things that you can't change about your bedroom like the color of the flooring or closet doors. That's alright but for you to have overall harmony in your space you need to take that into consideration. In general you just have to know if they are warm or cool toned (for example, there are hardly any true white walls, they have a touch of other colors in them for coverage and that's good). Whichever they are, stick with that for your subsequent choices. Why? Let's say you have carpet that is a warm beige and you've chosen paint or bedding that only has colors with blue or gray tones. When you see them together you will notice a muddiness about the room because their under tones are incompatible.
Throw away and organize. If your bedroom could be mistaken for a storage unit you have to love yourself more that. Clutter is energy and mood zapping. If it seems too overwhelming make a pact with yourself that you're going to throw one thing away every day until you have a maximum of three things on any surface. You'll have to invest a little money to be organized so be willing to make that part of your budget. When the clutter cloud starts hovering over me I'm personally motivated by watching TV shows that feature people who cannot throw things away and doctors and the authorities get involved.
Now go get INSPIRED! Look for your focal point art piece--a painting, sculpture, bed spread, lamp that speaks the message of what you want your bedroom to look like (my inspiration started with me deciding I deserved my own coffee bar in my bedroom). Get ideas from home stores, catalogues or nature. Choose two or 3 harmonizing colors and start making that bedroom a work of art, your personal space a message from you, to you--"My room is beautiful and so am I."
No comments:
Post a Comment